This week millions of people will be creating goals for 2016 to try to become better human beings than in the previous year.
Many will focus on losing weight, making more money or going on some awesome vacation.
I too am focusing my efforts on a major goal for the coming year.
Recently I had a friend commit suicide. Unfortunately, I have had way too many friends succumb to this painful disease – mothers, fathers, friends and co-workers. Looking back, although I was kind and nice to them, I believe I could of been a better listener and more attentive.
These tragedies have affected me deeply and repeatedly throughout my life. Thinking about the joyful experiences they will miss: graduations, marriages, family reunions and more, has weighed on me heavily. I understand the lingering pain for those left behind.
If we are honest with ourselves, at some point in our lives, I believe many of us have given thought to suicide. Divorce, death, loss of income, and troubled kids have all caused emotional distress, but we carry on, knowing that the storm will eventually pass and the sun will once again shine.
This is why being NICE to everyone we meet, should be our number one goal for 2016. And not just being friendly, but treating each person like they are the most important person we know.
7 Simple Strategies to Make a Lifetime of Difference to Someone:
1. Be kind to everyone you meet – Smile as you walk by someone, say ‘hi’ in an elevator or grocery line. Make someone’s day by just being nice.
2. Give sincere compliments – find something positive to say to each person you come in contact with.
3. Use their name often – People love to hear their own name and love it even more when someone remembers it.
4. Really listen – Stop what your doing and focus on your kids, spouse or co-worker when they want to talk. Stop texting or typing on the computer and give them your full attention. Make them feel important.
5. Message your loved ones – send them a text or a message periodically letting them know they are on your mind and in your heart. Tell them that you appreciate them and love them.
6. Improve your knowledge base – Read Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends and Influence People – This is one of my top 10 books of all time. Its a game changer and will make an immediate impact on your life.
7. Pray – Pray for those having struggles that they might be able to get through the storm and see the light. Believe and say what you want to about prayer, but the positive energy you transmit to the universe, does have an impact on peoples’ lives – be it through divine miracles or friends and family who answer that prayer.
This new year I challenge each of us to be more kind, more friendly, to go out of our way to make someone feel important.
This is a skill that will need exercise. Just like riding a bike, with practice you will create a habit that can and will make a difference in someone’s life.
Could your example and concern for another person’s feelings be the difference of them attending their children’s wedding one day? I don’t know. But what I do know, is that they will appreciate you and always remember how you made them feel.
Lane Olsen is a busy man, and loving every minute of his abundant life. Lane is the founder of “Empowering You to a World Class Life”, Ripped Body Today, Fathers on Fire, Law Of Abundance, Goal Setting University, and Invest in Blue Chips.
Lane is an entrepreneur, motivator and training expert. He started out as an Executive over a large corporation with responsibility of over $120,000,000 in annual sales and over 1000 employees. Lane is active in real estate and stock market investing.
Lane passionate about creating abundance in all areas of your life while helping you find your purpose and talents to share to the world
Lane lives in the beautiful rocky mountains where he is busy raising his kids. Yoga, Krav Maga, Fitness, Swing Dancing, Golf, Self Improvement, and helping and encouraging others are just a few of his leisure-time activities.
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.